November 11, 2011 - Just another day in Cambridge...

As the title suggests, life has been pretty chill here as of late. I'm kind of swamped with the 7 essays that I have left to write, and then next week is going to be super crazy, but I'm SO excited!! With Allard visiting and my trip to Copenhagen, the week is completely packed from Tuesday to next Monday. Don't expect many updates till after I return... And then there will be that crazy overload of 5 in a row!

I also picked the worst possible time to take up an obsession (or interest slash hobby as I like to think of it) - with reading Game of Thrones :D It is amazingly good, and I absolutely cannot believe that I left that book sitting on my shelf for a whole month while I did no work anyways. I'm almost half way through, and I'm going to have to control myself so that I don't go buy the next book too because I don't really have any room to bring anything additional back, let alone what I already have. I guess you could blame the book for not getting much more interesting posts, since most of my free time has been going into reading... I do explore a bit though, if you count discovering new cafe's and reading outside of my room :)

Random side tangent. I found a lady bug buzzing around my room two nights ago, which was rather annoying because it kept hitting the light and it would just be this constant noise. It seemed to go away, or I managed to tune it out, but then the next day I found a lady bug sitting on my bag. I put it on a napkin and got it to leave my room, mostly because I didn't want to deal with the annoying noise again. I thought about dropping it out of my window, but the idea seemed slightly cruel - throwing a ladybug out a fourth story window... Anyways, I thought I was done with lady bugs, but then today, I found one sitting on my chair. As proof, I have included the picture. Infestation of lady bugs possibly? According to Sarah, they come inside a lot in the cold, but I think that this is probably just the same one that really likes my room, understandably so...



The only exciting event of the past few days was midnight snack with my college family, and it took me so much energy to put down my book and go out, which is pretty terrible. Any other night I would have been so happy to go meet up with my college parents and brother, but I was being super lazy since I was all comfy in my room with my blanket on the couch. And walking into the cold seemed like a terrible idea. It ended up being really nice - we ate lots of junk food and stayed up talking till 3 am (when my college dad kicked us out of his room)!

I also went out to have a traditional British meal because I have been slightly sick of food in the buttery as of late, and instead of eating a baguette or something I'd normally eat, I figured that I should try to spice things up a little. It was pretty delicious and WAY too much food for me, even though I hadn't had lunch. No, these are not fries. They are chips...



I also had my first real supervision today, which I think went decently well. I scored a 2-1 on the essay, which considering it was the first one I had ever written, Cambridge style, I was very very happy with. I have a pretty good idea of what I have to do for these. It is hand written, supposedly within an hour which are the exam conditions, and supposed to be about 6 sides. The hard part of the Part II (third year) essays is that you have to critically assess the experimental evidence, and not just cite things from books, which there are actually are none. So essentially you end up reading lots and lots of papers. I also managed to write this essay within the span of one night! Hopefully I will now be able to power through a few more this weekend...



I apologize for the excessive writing and limited number of pictures for this post. Although if you're reading this part, that probably means you (unlike most others) read everything and so this doesn't actually apply to you. Anyways, I'm really excited to go horseback riding tomorrow!! And the rest of my time will be spent working...

No comments:

Post a Comment