Why studying abroad at Cambridge is amazing...

Lauren asked us to send in comments about studying abroad in Cambridge this week so that she could share them with all of the incoming applicants....Anyways, since I put a decent amount of effort into mine, I figured some of you might find it somewhat interesting to read...

"With Caltech only an hour’s flight away from my home, I used to feel that I had never really left my comfort zone and explored the outside world on my own. When I first arrived in Cambridge, it was definitely a bit overwhelming at first because I was around a lot of new people who speak a language that is surprisingly difficult to comprehend, and taking classes in an academic system that is rather different from Caltech’s certainly doesn’t help, but this experience has broadened my horizons enormously and allowed me to become so much more independent.

Caltech’s small size can prevent you from meeting students from a variety of backgrounds. However, at Cambridge, there are an endless number of opportunities to meet new and interesting individuals studying many different subjects. Hundreds of clubs exist at Cambridge where it is very easy to find other people who share your interests. I have been playing Ultimate with the St. John’s College team and joined the Rambler’s Society so that I could take long walks through England’s gorgeous countryside. I have also spent a lot of my free time exploring Cambridge by visiting all the castles, cathedrals and museums, but I still can’t say that I’ve seen it all. Constantly living its culture, breathing its history, and exploring its traditions are definitely the best way to enjoy a foreign country. Spending these few weeks in such a historic city has been in and of itself a uniquely rewarding cultural experience.

Although there is a stereotype that pre-med students should not study abroad because it could hurt your GPA, I did not let that stop me from having the experience of my life. In fact, studying abroad at Cambridge will probably help me significantly in terms of academics. A problem that many students face after coming out of their sophomore year is this general feeling of being burned out after completing the core classes. However, while studying abroad at Cambridge, I have a certain amount of required work for supervisions, but most of the additional reading I do is simply because I am absolutely fascinated by the subject matter. It is not because I am memorizing the material for an exam or completing a problem set a few hours before it is due. I have never had the free time to sit down and read as many scientific papers as I have here. Many of my classes also have a practical lab and journal club component that allow for a more holistic view of the topic. This difference in academic approach has allowed me to rediscover my passion for biology and has revitalized me so much that I am very excited to go back to Caltech and face the challenges of junior year with all the energy I had when I entered as a freshman! In addition, in my study of Part II Physiology, Development, and Neuroscience, I have been able to take a wide selection of courses that are not even offered at Caltech. In addition, having to write essays for my supervisions has allowed me to enjoy the sciences in a novel way and increase the breadth of my learning techniques. I am sure that these tools will also allow me to approach my classes at Caltech with a unique perspective.

Studying abroad at Cambridge has added something intangible and invaluable to my education and world view. I could not have asked for a more enjoyable and amazing experience. I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in studying abroad to apply!"

No comments:

Post a Comment