There's a mirror on my way down the stairs, and the only full length mirror I have access to. Its pretty terrible when I realize I want to change my outfit and then have to run up two flights of stairs to do that. You can see one of the buildings from yesterday's post through the window:
The architecture within St. John's is absolutely gorgeous. This is one of the walkways that you'll see a picture of when I'm punting later in the post:
This is called the Bridge of Sighs, also within St. John's. It connects the two parts of St. John's that are separated by the River Cam.:
These are some of the other living accommodations within St. John's:
Here we have St. John's Chapel. Its beautiful (as is everything else, but I don't know how else to describe it). It reminds me of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris:
Look my name is there on the resident list for my building (Cripps)!!:
This is on the punting tour we went on today. I didn't actually try punting (using the pole to the propel the boat), but I'll probably do that with some people from St. John's since we can rent out these boats there and possibly also tomorrow with the Caltech students at another college (Corpus Christi). Its also super easy to fall into the water... The girl next to me (Connie) is from Hong Kong:
And remember the Bridge of Sighs? Here's what it looks like from the outside:
This is what one side of St. John's looks like from the outside. You can see the outside of the alley ways that I took a picture of earlier in this post. It feels like Hogwarts to me :) I'll take a picture of it from land at some point as well so I can get a better angle.
And these are the Cripps, which is the building I actually live in. Those giant windows are similar to the ones in my living room. Its not as pretty as the rest of the buildings in St. John's, but the rooms are spacious so its fine:
This is called the Bridge of Sighs, also within St. John's. It connects the two parts of St. John's that are separated by the River Cam.:
This is what one side of St. John's looks like from the outside. You can see the outside of the alley ways that I took a picture of earlier in this post. It feels like Hogwarts to me :) I'll take a picture of it from land at some point as well so I can get a better angle.
And these are the Cripps, which is the building I actually live in. Those giant windows are similar to the ones in my living room. Its not as pretty as the rest of the buildings in St. John's, but the rooms are spacious so its fine:
The rest of my day was pretty nice. Yifei (a Caltech student) invited me to go out to dinner with Conan (another Caltech student) and some of the international students from her college (Corpus Christi). Corpus has a lot more international students so they have a lot of orientation events planned whereas I haven't seen anyone in St. John's yet. And so I've been crashing their events. I got a tour of Corpus today and its absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to upload pictures of the other colleges. I'd like to think that St. John's is the best, but I think King's College probably beats it. Cambridge is definitely known for that one. We went to a South African restaurant which had really good food and was surprisingly spicy. It was rather nice seeing some familiar faces even though I didn't really know either of them that well at Caltech. We also made plans to go travel around the United Kingdom and possibly Scotland as well, and so I look forward to those weekend trips :) But waking up at 7 am tomorrow for orientation will NOT be fun...
everything looks gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteMan I wish so badly I could come visit you this time around... I guess we'll just have to go back together! :P
ReplyDeleteyeah that would have been SO cool, but we're kind of far away from each other :( we still need to plan out our trip to boston soonish.
ReplyDelete